24 July 2009

Mama Conners's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies...with Bacon!

Chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, I love you. I love you so much that I kissed you with bacon and golden raisins. Crunch and Melt in our mouths, Koudou eats at least two, three, sometimes even four cookies every day... the recipe makes several dozen. Mama Conners, mama of my dear friend, Brian, was feeding several children. I believe that they all grew big and strong from these cookies! I dream of making these cookies for my baby/ies someday, too.
Brian and I printed this recipe in a dingy little computer lab at the University of Bonn, Germany, way back in 1994. We longed for these cookies, and his mama emailed us the goods... so now I sit here with this frail little piece of old computer reel paper, folded, oily and having traveled across the big pond with us when we moved back to the States. I cherish you, my dear little note.

And now, to the golden nugget, to be held with love and visited often in your ovens, on your kitchen tables, in the bellies of those you love and those you don't!

4.5 c sifted flour
3 tsp baking soda
3 tsp salt
3 c shortening (2 sticks unsalted butter)
1.5 c refined sugar
2 c brown sugar
6 eggs, unbeaten
1 Tbl hot water
24 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 c rolled oats
1 Tbl vanilla extract
1 c (or more) raisins (optional)
1 c chopped nuts (optional)
1 c (approx. 8 pcs.) crumbled bacon of your choice (optional)...Smithfield rocks!

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. In mixing bowl, sift flour, add baking soda and salt. Blend thoroughly. In separate bowl, cream fat until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla extract and cream well. Beat in eggs, add hot water. Fold in sifted (dry) ingedients. Add chocolate chips, rolled oats, raisins and bacon and mix well. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool or not! Enjoy!
Cookies remain crisp in air tight container depending on season. Excellent with a glass of milk or deliciously strong cup of coffee!

Thank you, Mama Conners!

No comments: